The last few sessions on the slides have mostly been about getting comfortable — steady rates, longer pieces and trying not to fight the movement.
Today I wanted to change that.
Now that the slides are starting to feel a little more natural, it was time to see what happened when I pushed the rate and pace up.
The main piece was a 2,000m, aiming somewhere around 1:50 pace. I ended up with:
2,000m — 7:13.9
1:48.5/500m — 274 watts — DF 130
Average rate around 31 spm
It was controlled enough on the monitor, but breathing-wise it was definitely rough. The final 500m came down nicely though, finishing with a bit left to push.
After recovering I had a couple of goes at 100m. The first was 14.9, then another attempt produced 14.3 seconds, averaging 945 watts.
Very different rowing from the steady r20–22 work I've been doing recently, and useful just to feel how the slides behave when the rate gets properly high.
I'd originally planned to finish with a 6,000m, but a fair chunk of the session disappeared while swapping monitors, setting everything up and getting the replacement Garmin HRM 200 connected. I also spent more time than expected experimenting with rates and getting comfortable with the setup.
The good news is the new HR strap behaved itself. After months of questionable readings and dropouts, today's 2k gave a clean, believable rise all the way through.
So the 6k can wait.
For now, another little step forward — less about simply surviving the slides and more about starting to find out what I can actually do on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment