Tuesday 6 October 2015

When is a 2k test not a 2k test

When you bottle it and do a CTC rate capped instead ...

Went out to train tonight after a heavy weekend of household chores - not training at all since last Tuesday - life been putting the boot in in terms of time needed for extra ordinary "stuff" - but tonight I saw a opportunity to train so after fighting for half an hour with my old car to try and get it started in the damp (it's over 20 years old and don't like the damp ....) which I failed to do in order to get it to a salvage yard I then took the dogs for a walk in the damp and misty evening - sounds romantic unless your have four soggy dogs who insist on walking right next to you so you become soaked by proxy - did I mention it was damp .... So the "plan" was to do a 2k - target between 6:30 (ideal) and 6:40 (I could deal with) on the model B in the shed - so once I put it in place and organised everything else up there I went through the 5k warm up - although I got it wrong and had to restart it - been a while lol. OK 2k set up and off I set - got about 250m in and basically bottled it - not sure if it was concern for the back or complete lack of confidence in rowing hard for more than a minute or so at a hard pace - but I stopped. Thought about going again and reduce the target - but the thought went quickly as I turned my mind to the CTC - 15 by 1min 1min rest - gives a workout and gives me time to assess as I go - so last time was rate 20 figured r22 this time with a target of 1:40 (1:42.6 on r20) set off and it all went reasonably well - wasn't blowing too hard - did mess up a couple of starts (5th one in particular) and about 4 or 5 times messed up the timing and took the last stroke with 5 seconds left - still target attained and split. Also managed to get some lovely blisters on my hands and heels - actually that was something else that put me off on the 2k - the heels on the model B - I suppose its something the guys got used to. Oh back seems ok so thats good :o)


 





2 comments:

  1. Gripping the handle too hard ;-)

    Softly softly catchee monkey.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - got to get a good grip on the shaft

      Delete