Monday 23 September 2013

Challenge Series 4min - knackered ankle

I don't like not training because of a niggling injury (ie one that comes and goes) and although obviously training on a knackered ankle isn't good - not training on it with only weeks before a comp in my mind is worse - so went down to test it out - first plan was to get through the morning without collapsing in pain - check - next step was to get changed - fail (forgot my socks) - but I had an ankle brace thing so I went barefoot in my shoes with that on the bad ankle - next step warm up - fail - after the first 1k I stopped as usual and although the row itself went pain free something went in the ankle again and the pain flared up - I saw the 1 minute countdown go over and all I could do was sit and wait for the pain to subside – then I got up and went for a little walk gingerly around – seemed OK so sat on the machine for the next part of the warm up – all OK – phew – OK the last part of the warm up 3k with bursts and that was OK too – I was very conscious of the ankle and tried to maintain a very rigid stroke.

OK so now the 4min for the challenge series – I reckon on recent form I should be 1340+ meters on this – but with the ankle issues and a HD before the holiday on this session I just wanted a solid row – so with a split of 1:30 in my head I set off and waited for the usual pain and hoped the ankle would hold – well the usual breathlessness came within the first minute and had to remind myself that although this was uncomfortable it wasn’t going to get much worse – first three minutes I was in more control than I would have thought before I started – but still conscious of the ankle going “ping” I left the drive to the last 30sec and drove I did – hitting 1:25 I believe to be the lowest split – job done – not quite the distance I should be at – but good enough for the moment








The main pain in the ankle is across the top where the finger is when it comes 




No comments:

Post a Comment