Monday 6 January 2014

8by500's - If pain was a measurement of success

Then this would be one of my most successful sessions to date (in recent memory anyway)

 

Q had mentioned this to us all in our own forum

 

“… pace is going to drop off, in some cases a great deal. Accordingly this is a very bad week to look at training paces and say "this is how fast I can go". It is not.

Some of you may lose up to 2s/500m off pace depending on how tired you get. Don't stress about it - actually embrace the fact you are stressing your body in a constructive way.”

 

But heading down for the 8by500’s (1min 30sec rest) I shrugged that off and targeted a PB which was 1:29.3 from the 30th Dec 2013 – of course I hadn’t stuck a 4by750m PB in two days before that had I :lol: still fortune favours the brave they say – so after a warm up – which wasn’t doing my confidence any good to be fair – very sluggish – I hit the first rep and tried to keep the stroke rate up I came in at 1:29.2 – 1:29.1 for the second rep – the third rep I cocked up the start and hit 2:18 on the first stroke (tend to be 1:4*’s) so playing catch up but nailed 1:29.1 – cost me a little on the 4th as again I cocked up the start and it was here the burn really started – so from here on in the last four reps went like this

 

1)      Start and feels OK for 30 seconds

2)      From 30 seconds to 45 it hurts

3)      After 45 seconds my legs just feel like they are seizing up more and more on every stroke

 

See above times 4  - getting slower every time – I basically used the ave pace from the preceding rep to target at the start of the new one – held it to about half way and then it slipped away.

 

Now what is funny is that (although I literally ended up rolling around the floor in pain at the end) I was pretty bloody happy with this training piece – another link in my chainmail – getting ready for war!

No comments:

Post a Comment